Providing Trusted Counsel Tailored To Your Needs

I Can Eliminate The Uncertainty Of Guardianships

Obtaining a guardianship for a child or a vulnerable adult (who is sometimes referred to as a “ward”) can be quite challenging. In addition to the legal processes, there are often emotional aspects of these types of cases. If you are a caregiver, you are likely facing difficulties in caring for the ward, especially if you are not that person’s official legal guardian. You will need a lawyer who is knowledgeable about the legal issues as well as compassionate about the personal and family issues you encounter.

I am attorney Brad Monceaux, and I am aware that these cases are very sensitive. Family relationships may be at stake if disputes occur. You and your family can count on me to treat everyone involved with care and dignity throughout the process of seeking a guardianship. Please contact my Dallas-Fort Worth law firm today to get the legal help you need. I have worked in the fields of estate planning, probate and elder care for 15 years.

What You Need To Know About Guardianships

In Texas, there are generally two types of guardianships: guardians of people and guardians of estates. A guardian of a person has legal authority over issues such as their medical care and where they live. A guardian of the estate handles the ward’s finances and related issues. In some cases, the guardian is responsible for the person and their estate.

In addition, people can seek guardianship of children or adults:

  • Guardianship of children: This is most common when the parents are deceased and did not appoint legal guardians for their children before they died. You can also seek guardianship of minor children if the parents are unable to care for the children because they are in prison, hospitalized for a lengthy period or otherwise unavailable.
  • Guardianship of adults: Adults may also need someone to be a guardian of their person and/or estate. This most often occurs when the adult is vulnerable because they have special needs or disabilities or have become incapacitated and cannot care for themselves, make decisions or communicate their wishes. Parents of special-needs children must apply to be their offspring’s guardian once they turn 18; it is best if this process is started about six months before their child’s 18th birthday.

These situations have the potential for conflict between family members. In either case, you may face pushback from others about who should be the guardian, and from adults who may not think they need someone to manage their affairs. This can be a delicate, emotional matter. I have the experience and compassion to help you through petitioning for the guardianship and understanding your responsibilities in caring for the ward.

Immediate Need For A Guardianship? I Can Help.

Sometimes, these cases are extremely time-sensitive. Let’s review your case and see what type of legal assistance you need. Please call Monceaux Law Firm at 214-706-0852 today. You can also send me an email if you prefer.